Backup time versus restore

From: <daiken_at_regents.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 11:15:54 -0400

Hello --

We're looking at moving from a third party raid array to Digital Storage
Works. Tonight.

We've got about 11 Gig of data on our old raid array that needs to be moved
over. It takes us about 3 1/2 hours to backup the entire system now using
dump.

Under Ultrix, the ratio of backup to restore was about 1:4, i.e. it took
about 4 times longer to restore than back up.

Does this ratio hold under Digital Unix?

Would you do a disk-disk upgrade rather than disk-tape-disk?

My big concern is it will take about 14 hours using the tape method and the
window I have is just about 12 hours exactly.

Thanks for your input.

Donn Aiken Applications Engineer Regents College
daiken_at_regents.edu http://www.regents.edu
These comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the policies or
position of Regents College.