SUMMARY: /usr/var vs. /var wrt. software installs

From: Judith Reed <jreed_at_wukon.appliedtheory.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:31:34 -0400

Thanks to all who responded with various pieces of info on this problem!

Several folks pointed out that this is an unsupported configuration.

Others documented how their system either had:
        /var a link to /usr/var
or
        /usr/var a link to /var

"Vinzenz_Esser_at_emass.com" suggested that if we need to keep the old /usr/var
contents around, we rename it to /usr/var.old or something similar, and add
the /usr/var -> /var link. This is probably what we'll do.

"iglesias_at_draco.acs.uci.edu" suggested I look at <kit area>instctrl/*.inv,
which (type of file) contains an inventory of where the software will be
installed. Looking at the DIA distribution *.inv file showed that it installs
into /usr/var, and this was precisely our problem, as this area is supposed
to either be a live filesystem (with /var a link to it) or it is supposed
to be a link to a live /var. In our case it was neither, so the install failed.

I actually worked with a DEC phone support person on this, and he didn't
point out the unsupported nature of this config, but just helpfully made it
work in spite of the config - sweet of him, but perhaps not such a good thing
in retrospect, eh?! %;^)

Our strange config came about because our programmers wanted a bigger /var,
but wouldn't let us get rid of /usr/var, because they wanted contents in it.
With the info from respondants I can now go back to them and push to get it
cleaned up, as I KNOW they don't want their spiffy configuration to break
when we install patches this weekend!

Many huge thanks to all!

--
Judith Reed