pine3.96 drops core under Digital UNIX v4.0d

From: Mark Bartelt <mark_at_cita.utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 08:45:43 -0400

[ Someone else posted a query about the same problem back in
  March, but since I couldn't find any followup or summary,
  I figure I may as well ask as well, in hopes that someone
  who has an answer might have missed the other posting. ]

We're slowly upgrading all our DU systems to v4.0d (including
patch kit #1). The upgraded systems can no longer run pine.
The executable built under v3.2c won't even start up: Just a
complaint about ...

/sbin/loader: Fatal Error: object libcurses.so from liblist
in /local/bin/pine has version "osf.1", which does not match
the found object: /usr/shlib/libcurses.so (with version "xpg4")

I tried the obvious thing, namely rebuilding under 4.0d; this
version starts up OK, and works to read messages. But if one
tries to send a message, it bombs out ...

  Stack overflow: pid NNN, proc pine, addr ..., pc ...

... followed immediately by a segmentation fault and core dump.

Curiously, v4.0c will happily run either the 3.2c-built version
of pine, or the 4.0d-built one! (I also tried building pine on
a v4.0c system; this runs fine under 4.0c, but bombs under 4.0d
just as the 4.0d-built copy does.)

So ... Does anyone have a fix? I confess that I haven't had a
chance to sniff at the corpse with a debugger yet, in hopes of
finding some obvious bug. But before I do, has anyone else had
this sort of problem with pine under v4.0d? I haven't tried it
on an unpatched v4.0d yet (I installed the patchkit immediately
after the v4.0d installation), but I might have a chance to try
that today or tomorrow.

If it turns out to be a problem with one of the patches, might
anyone be able to suggest which of the many patches in patchkit
#1 would be a likely candidate for backing out of?

As usual, oodles of TIA ...

Mark Bartelt 416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for mark_at_cita.utoronto.ca
Theoretical Astrophysics http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~mark

"Nur eine Waffel taugt!" -- Parsifal, in an Eggo commercial