SUMMARY: GACK! DU 4.0d mount() now looks at real (not effective) uid!

From: Mark Bartelt <mark_at_cita.utoronto.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 06:32:14 -0400

Well, I was nearly inundated with responses: Many people suggested
rebuilding the kernel with "options CDFS" in the configuration file.
That wasn't the problem (the kernel already had that configured in).

A lot of people suggested using "sudo". That's likely a worthwhile
thing to look at in any case (it's one of those things that's been
on my "to do" list for a *long* time).

But the easiest solution was essentially ...

  Hey, bonehead! If the real uid needs to be zero, why not
  just have your wrapper program set the real uid to zero?

So, any or all of ...

  setruid(geteuid());
  setuid(geteuid());
  setruid(0);
  setuid(0);

... do the trick quite nicely. Many thanks to ...

  Allan E Johannesen <aej_at_WPI.EDU>
  Joshua Rowe <rowe_at_eksystems.com>
  Kevin Hildebrand <hildekca_at_Glue.umd.edu>
  John Hascall <john_at_iastate.edu>
  Ray Bellis <rpb_at_community.net.uk>
  Serguei Patchkovskii <patchkov_at_acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca>
  Lars Bro <lbro_at_dscc.dk>

... who made the (in retrospect, glaringly obvious) suggestion (but
all of whom were too polite to call me a bonehead!). I *must* stop
posting before my caffeine level is at optimal strength ...

Mark Bartelt 416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for mark_at_cita.utoronto.ca
Theoretical Astrophysics http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~mark

"Nur eine Waffel taugt!" -- Parsifal, in an Eggo commercial