problems using diskx

From: Gavin Barker <gavin_at_digi-data.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:24:09 -0400

Hello Managers,

I am working on an alpha machine running Digital UNIX 3.2c.

I tried running the diskx utility on one of the drives, however, the
diskx command fails because it cannot determine the layout of the drive
from disklabel. When I tried to read the label of the drive using
disklabel -r, it failed because either it could not read from block zero
or there was no label created.

What I am confused about is, you can see the drive and also there is a
file system already mounted on the drive. That drive is not
partitioned.

1.Can a file system be mounted on a drive with no label?
2.If I can't read the label does this mean that the drive is defective?
3.Can this corrupt data on the drive?

Gavin Barker
Software Engineer
digi-data systems ltd.