ADVFS problem guidance sought

From: Graham Allan <ALLAN_at_mnhep1.hep.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 20:01:17 -0500

After rebooting one of our systems, an Alphastation 500 running DU40.d
with patch kit 1, the filesystems on an advfs domain failed to mount.

Booting single-user, and running /sbin/bcheckrc, I get (for all the advfs
filesets on that, the only, domain):

domain#fileset on /mount-point: I/O error.

Running /sbin/advfs/verify domain gives:

verify: can't get set info for domain 'domain'
verify: error = ENO_XTNTS (-1036)
+++ Domain verification +++
main: unable to get info for domain 'domain'
    error: -1036, ENO_XTNTS (-1036)

Which doesn't look good. Is there any hope of recovering this (most
filesets are backed up, but not all, so a recovery would be nice). The
domain is contained within a single disk partition, so it is at least
not too complicated.

salvage could be worth a try, I guess, though it doesn't seem to work in
single-user mode (complains about not being able to map shared libs). I
thought I would enquire about best strategies before trying anything
further.

Thanks for any help,

Graham
Physics, University of Minnesota