Slightly Off Topic: Future of DU and Alpha

From: Robert A. Hayden <rhayden_at_means.net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:26:20 -0500 (CDT)

Sorry that this is a bit off topic. We're trying to put together some
long-range plans for OS and equipment purchases over the next 24 months
and are concerned with the furture of Digital UNIX and the Alpha chip.

With Compaq's purchase of Digital, has anyone heard anything definitive
about the plans for the OS and CPU? We don't want to invest heavily in
software and hardware if it's gonna be abandoned.

Conventional wisdom seems to say that Compaq will abandon both DU and the
Alpha in short order.

Any rumors or info would greatly appreciated.

Robert Hayden rhayden_at_means.net UIN: 3937211
IP Network Administrator http://rhayden.means.net
MEANS Telcom (612) 230-4416