SUMMARY: Known TCP/IP attack vulnerability with 4.0D+patches?

From: Brian O'Neill <Brian_ONeill_at_uml.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 16:45:39 -0400

Thanks to those who reponded:

        Dr. Tom Blinn
        Paul A Sand

Paul pointed out the known attack points, but all of those were fixed in
patch kit 1 for 4.0D.

Tom pointed out that the "m_copym" is a function in
kernel/bsd/uipc_mbuf.c, so it did indeed appear to be network related.

I did some further investigation, and discovered that the crash was
generated by a local program, and not from outside.

The program in question is a TCP/IP DOS exploiter called "nestea", which
is listed as exploiting an "off by one IP header" bug in Linux's IP
fragmentation code, as well as some Windows systems. It must be run as
root in order to do raw sockets (yes, I'm STILL finding all the back
doors - inches away from completely reinstalling), but when run
immediately panics the system.

I've sent an update to Digital...

Brian O'Neill - Director of Computing, Computer Science (978) 934-3645
University of Massachusetts Lowell         <*>    Brian_ONeill_at_uml.edu
Acting Postmaster