SUMMARY (Part 2): upgrades vs. fresh installs

From: Judith Reed <jreed_at_wukon.appliedtheory.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 09:11:27 -0400

Since posting a summary on this, I've received several useful items that
I want to include.

Regarding the catastrophic upgrade from cd loaded to disk. Dr. Tom Blinn
notes that you must use tar or dump (I used tar) and copy the CD into the
root directory of a mount point (I copied it to /var/upgrade/... - bad idea).

He says:
"There are a number of kitting bugs that have been introduced into some of
the kits that break things like installupdate when the kit isn't sitting in
a mount point. I have reported these problems to the kitting team, and
given them all of the ugly details about how to get it right...

Yes, you can't just copy the kit into an arbitrary directory, it has to be
in the root directory of a mount point. There is a bug in setld that fails
to correctly determine the location of the root directory for the kit when
you are doing an installupdate, and it's aggravated by the fact that there
is no consistent, common path naming for the different procedures that use a
kit."

Matthias Dolder further notes regarding upgrading from disk:
"a) you must have a dedicated disk to put the CD content on
 b) it's recommended to use ufs
 c) partition a and c must be of the same size (easiest is to set a = c)
 d) transfer the CD content onto the disk so that they look identical (ie. tar)

As an Digital employee i normally copy os releases in tar format from the
intranet. I then create a disk (as described above) that looks like a CD.
A fresh install from such a disk usually completes within 20-25 mins or so.
Update installs depend on actual config, in my case same ballpark as
fresh install (excluding of course de-/re-install of layered components."

Regarding simultaneously upgrading multiple machines, Oisin McGuinness says:
You might have been able to upgrade simultaneously if you had set
up a system with RIS to export. Of course, the bottleneck probably
becomes the CD on the system exporting the RIS, or the disk on that
if you copied the CD contents.
--
Judith Reed
jreed_at_appliedtheory.com