ADDENDUM: SUMMARY: Tape backup software

From: Spalding, Stephen <SSpaldin_at_mem-ins.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 12:44:14 -0500

Hello!

I apologize for the delay in posting this addendum summary, but I like to
wait until enough people have had a chance to reply and I also like to work
things through sometimes before reporting what I've found. Many thanks to
all who have replied:
Jasper Hoon
Bjorn Berglund
Pascal Pederiva
Lawrence Decker
Robert L. Bailey
Paul A. Belcher
Jef HamLin

I received sympathy from some who said that they are in the same boat as
myself in that when they upgrade above Networker 3.2A, they will either have
to buy the jukebox license or simply go without the advance tape
functionality. Others gave the commands to use from the UNIX command line to
advance the tape. One person said that he called up the appropriate
licensing people and let them have it for making him pay for an extra
license when upgrading their software (he ended up getting the jukebox
license for free). Still others gave some more examples of tape backup
software to use, and they are Alexandria (www.spectralogic.com), Veritas
NetBackup, and BRU (www.estinc.com).

The Networker commands to use to advance the tape are:
nsrmm -j -f /dev/nrmt0h #Unmounts and ejects the current tape and
loads the next tape
mt -f /dev/nrmt0h online #Advances to the next tape
nsrmm -m -f /dev/nrmt0h #Mounts the tape in Networker

I knew what the commands were to advance the tape in a loader device, I just
didn't know WHEN to use them. For example, if one tape backup is currently
running and another saveset group kicks off but the right tape for it isn't
loaded, I don't want the tape to be advanced.

What I did is install Networker 4.4, run it, and then see how it acts when
the tape currently being used runs out of space. What I found is that to put
together a script which will advance the tape when needed, you need to watch
for three conditions before advancing the tape:
1)make sure that there is a tape that is mounted in Networker.
2)see if the tape that is mounted in Networker is write protected. In
Networker 4.4, once it has finished using the current tape, it write
protects it on a temporary basis; I think that this is so that the same tape
doesn't somehow get reloaded and written over. If you were to unmount and
then remount the tape, it would no longer be write protected.
3)check to see if the saveset pool that the current tape belongs to is the
same pool that executed the tape mount request.

I won't go further into detail unless someone wants me to, but that's how I
managed to get Networker to advance the tape without us buying the jukebox
license.

Thanks again to all who responded!

- Stephen Spalding