SUMMARY: binary.errorlog

From: Ronald D. Bowman <rdbowma_at_tsi.clemson.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 16:08:01 -0400

This post is a further summary to the summary written by
Mary J. Aumann on June 04,1998.

Her Summary:

Original message at end. The consensus is that the binary.errlog file
should be purged on a regular basis. Either backup to tape or cp to
different area on disk (may want to zip) then cat /dev/null > binary.errlog
or cp /dev/null /var/adm/binary.errlog. Check permissions.

Other suggested files to purge: lastlog, messages, mountdtab, wtmp,
sialog, syslog.dated. Caution: do not purge utmp!

Further information:
I had performed the above routine after I had deleted the file. Unfortunately,
no errors were being written to the binary.errorlog file. Dr. Blinn
provided the solution I needed which was to restart the binlog daemon.
the man page is binlogd, and the command is:

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/binlogd.pid`

So, if you have deleted the binary.errorlog file, you can recreate it using
the method Mary provided and then restart the binlog daemon. I have a feeling
that if you don't delete the file, it is not necessary to restart the daemon.

Ron Bowman
Techno-Sciences, Inc.
rdbowma_at_tsi.clemson.edu
864-646-4028

Alpha EB 21164, 333MHz, 1 CPU
DU 4.0B (564) Patch #6 installed
Searchable Archive URLs:
http://www-archive.ornl.gov:8000/ (simple search)
http://www-archive.ornl.gov:8000/archive/power.htm (more detailed)
The following is a summary only site graciously maintained by Matt Moore.
http://www.bucks.edu/alpha-osf-managers/