portmap not starting

From: Jonathan D. Sharley <jd_at_matchlogic.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:36:03 -0600

I have a machine that has been humming along for some time now running
DU4.0B. Just yesterday I encountered a problem while playing with MFS
volumes. I can't say for sure that this is related to my MFS testing, but
after rebooting the system with an MFS volume in /etc/fstab the system came
up minus portmapper and inetd was wasn't working. The following record
appeared in the logs:

11-Jun-11:53/daemon.log:Jun 11 11:59:24 push inetd[490]: Cannot register
service: RPC: Timed out

I removed the MFS volume from my fstab and rebooted, but the problem is
still there. I couldn't find anything in the logs mentioning portmap.
Starting portmapper manually after reboot and restarting inetd can get
things more or less going, but I can't figure out why portmap isn't
launching. Has anyone seen anything like this? Where should I be looking
for the source of the problem?