kerberos 5 - GSSAPI ADAT failure on ftp?

From: Judith Reed <jreed_at_wukon.appliedtheory.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:33:38 -0400

Still trying to solve a problem with getting alphas running DU 4.0b/d to
accept incoming ftp connections. I can get them to accept telnet, but when
you try to ftp in (with the "-d" switch to get debug output) you get:

% /usr/local/kerberosV/bin/ftp -d myhost.mysite.myorg
Connected to myhost.mysite.myorg.
220 myhost.mysite.myorg FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
---> AUTH GSSAPI
334 Using authentication type GSSAPI; ADAT must follow
GSSAPI accepted as authentication type
Trying to authenticate to <ftp_at_myhost.mysite.myorg>
calling gss_init_sec_context
---> ADAT
        :
   [ very long character string that was passed is omitted here ]
        :
GSSAPI error major: No error
GSSAPI error minor: No error
GSSAPI error: acquiring credentials
GSSAPI ADAT failed <--------------------------------------?
GSSAPI authentication failed <--------------------------------------?
Name ( :jreed):
---> USER myhost.mysite.myorg:jreed
530 User jreed access denied: authentication required. <-------------------?
Login failed. <--------------------------------------?
---> SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-198911
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

I can telnet into this host from this account, and I have a .k5login entry.
Any idea what the problem might be, or how to debug it?

Huge TIA!

--
Judith Reed
jreed_at_appliedtheory.com