SUMMARY: web site on DEC Unix box -> Alpha running NT - GNU utili ties? zip? etc? Or Intel only?

From: Nibby, Dana \(WT Chen\) <"Nibby,>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 14:15:05 -0400

Thanks for the speedy replies to:

Brian Hostetter [brianh_at_netins.net]
Lance A. Brown [brown9_at_niehs.nih.gov]
thomas.erskine-dated-f7e913492b28ce3a_at_crc.ca
Daniel Notov [danno_at_large.com]
Dan West [dwest_at_adagis.ada.epa.gov]
Emanuel Salazar [Emanuel.Salazar_at_mci.com]

My apologies if I've left anyone out.

Various suggestions in no particular order:

====

Use zip on the unix side, then use any available compression utility on
NT

====

My reccomendation would be to install Samba on the DEC Unix system and
create file services in Samba for your web server. You can then mount
the
Samba file services as network drives on your NT box and use file
manager
or Explorer to copy the files directly.

====

Run Linux if you get too frustrated with NT

====

My recommendation is to check out the AlphaNT Source at
http://www.alphant.com/
This user-run site has all the information you are looking for. For
software
that
has not been ported to native alpha, I recommend installing FX!32. Refer
http://www.digital.com/semiconductor/amt/fx32/index.html for more
information.

====

Check out Info-ZIP at http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/
This is a free PKZIP compatible compression utility which has
source code available as well as pre-built binaries for NT
on Alpha. In fact it runs on almost every platform you can
think of. I've used it for years with out any problems.

====

for utilities :

http://dutlbcz.lr.tudelft.nl/alphant/cgi/ftpweb.cgi?Choice=Utilities

for other stuff : http://dutlbcz.lr.tudelft.nl/alphant/archive.html