DIGITAL UNIX Patch CDROM availability

From: Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646 <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 18:14:26 -0400

There are often questions on the list about the availability of the patches
for DIGITAL UNIX. Many of you are already aware of the Web access through
http://www.service.digital.com/patches and are using it to download patches.

We are now offering DIGITAL UNIX patches on CDROM as an additional service.

If you have the existing layered product patch service (part no QT-3CSAA-C8,
$600 per year in the US) the new DIGITAL UNIX Patch CDROM media will also be
delivered as part of that subscription service, at no additional charge.

The CDROM is also separately orderable as part number QA-MT4AW-H8, with a US
list price of $100. US customers can order this through our 1-800-DIGITAL
toll free number. Customers in other countries should contact their local
Digital sales office or authorized reseller for pricing and availability.

We intend to also add the patch CDROM media at no additional charge in any
new media kits delivered after the patch media is available; for instance,
if you purchased a V4.0D media kit, and there is a patch CDROM available,
that CDROM would come in the media kit box. (DIGITAL UNIX media kits have
part number QA-MT4AA-H8, as before.) When the next release of DIGITAL UNIX
becomes available, if the updated patch CDROM (with the initial patches for
the new release) is available at the same time, then it will be included in
initial kits for the release. It will also be included in the update kits
for customers who have the Media and Documentation Distribution Service, if
it is available when those kits are prepared.

Our hope is that this additional distribution method will be useful, as well
as effective and timely. If your site has multiple versions of DIGITAL UNIX
in use, one CDROM kit will have the current patches for all versions. While
the "free" ftp download from the Services web site is convenient, it can use
a lot of network bandwidth and requires local hard disk space to hold each
kit, both the downloaded compressed version and the unpacked version. Since
the CDROM will contain the kits in "ready to use" form, for some sites it is
more convenient and reliable.

If you have comments on this program, can send them to the product manager
responsible for the program: Barbara Power, power_at_zk3.dec.com and we will
try incorporate positive suggestions into future offerings.

Tom

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn + UNIX Software Group + Compaq Computer Corporation
  110 Spit Brook Road, MS ZKO3-2/U20 Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698
   Technology Partnership Engineering Phone: (603) 884-0646
    Internet: tpb_at_zk3.dec.com Digital's Easynet: alpha::tpb
     ACM Member: tpblinn_at_acm.org PC_at_Home: tom_at_felines.mv.net

  Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work.

      Keep your stick on the ice. -- Steve Smith ("Red Green")

     My favorite palindrome is: Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
                                         -- Phil Agre, pagre_at_ucsd.edu

     Yesterday it worked / Today it is not working / UNIX is like that
                        -- apologies to Margaret Segall

  Opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not necessarily represent
  those of my employer or anyone else, living or dead, real or imagined.