clone motherboards and sound under Digital Unix

From: Tim Mooney <mooney_at_dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:26:33 -0500 (CDT)

All-

It's time for my AlphaStation 4/166 to be replaced, and after getting price
quotes from several Digital resellers and Alpha clone vendors, we selected
a clone vendor, based on price. Reports on this list of good luck with
various clones bolstered my confidence, though I was still a bit hesitant
to go with a clone.

The maker of the clone has recently been in touch with me to indicate that
they've run into a potential problem. The problem is that they can't get
audio to work under Digital Unix.

According to them, the motherboards that are used in the Digital Personal
Workstation au series have sound capabilities right on the motherboard. The
various clone boards (or at least the one they had planned on selling me, which
is a "Durango II") do not have audio on the motherboard, so it would have to
be provided by a sound card.

The problem apparently is that multimedia services doesn't recognize any of
the sound cards that they've tried installing.

This leads me to the question -- can I get multimedia services to work on
an alpha clone at all, or is it simply not possible? If it's possible, what
special tricks would they (or I) need to investigate? Is it simply a matter
of using the right audio board, and if so which one?

As a last ditch effort, would pulling the sound card that's in my AlphaStation
200 4/166 and putting it in the clone work? Once my AlphaStation is off my
desk it won't need sound capabilities any more, so yanking the card is an
option if that's the only way I can easily get a supported sound card.

Thanks for your time!

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney_at_dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Room 242-J1, IACC Building              (701) 231-8541 (Fax)