Summary 1: Sendmail 8.9.0 Build on DU

From: <maurerf_at_post.ch>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:35:08 +0200

A special thanks to all of those who responded to my request, without their
contributions I would never be able to see sendmail running on my system:

Catherine Destandau
Herve Choplin
Larry Griffith
Oisin McGuinness
Caine the Wanderer
Steve VanDevender
Ralf Hildebrandt

The original posting was:

I'm trying to build Sendmail for the first time. This is on a test system,
which is running V4.0D of DU. After a while I get the following message:

ld:
Can't locate file for: -ldbm
*** Exit 1
Stop.

After looking in the DU archives, I found that it requires 2 components to
build, bind and db. As far as I can see, bind is on my system but I have no
idea what is the other db component, and if it has to do with my problem?

Solution:

This specific problem was due to a missing component on my system:

The dbm library is part of the OSFPGMR425 subset, which is the kit: Standard
Programmer Commands (Software Development)

This was one of the problems I had to build sendmail on my system. I also
had to fix some other:

* I got a warning message that my M4 version was broken, I had to
install gnu M4, the DEC is broken
* During the build, it was complaining about missing groff command.
Groff is not available on DEC Unix. I created a site config (in
/BuildTools/Site/site.config.m4) with the definition "define(`confNROFF',
`nroff -Tascii')". Then I had to get the mandoc definition for nroff from
ftp.uu.net. I copy the file doc-roff to /usr/share/lib/tmac/tmac.andoc
* I also had problem with the sendmail.cf file, I had to generate a
new cf file from my mc file
* Finaly I had a warning with newaliases when restarting sendmail.
This problem was due to the fact that the aliases file protection was not
same as defined in my sendmail.cf (600)

Now sendmail is running, but I still have 2 small questions. That's why I
wrote summary 1 (I suppose there will be a summary 2).

The first question is about the second point I mentioned (about nroff). I
have no experience with manpages, and I'd like to be sure that the way I'm
doing it is correct? Eventually if you can point me to some documentation,
that would be nice (I like to anderstand what I'm doing).

The second question is about the sendmail.cf location. DEC expect to have
the cf file in /usr/adm/sendmail dir, but in my case it has to be in /etc.
When looking in conf.h, there is a section about osf:

/*
** OSF/1 (tested on Alpha) -- now known as Digital UNIX.
**
** Tested for 3.2 and 4.0.
*/

#ifdef __osf__
# define HASUNSETENV 1 /* has unsetenv(3) call */
# define USESETEUID 1 /* has useable seteuid(2) call */
# define HASINITGROUPS 1 /* has initgroups(3) call */
# define HASFCHMOD 1 /* has fchmod(2) syscall */
# define IP_SRCROUTE 1 /* can check IP source routing */
# define HAS_ST_GEN 1 /* has st_gen field in stat struct */
# ifndef HASFLOCK
# define HASFLOCK 1 /* has flock(2) call */
# endif
# define LA_TYPE LA_ALPHAOSF
# define SFS_TYPE SFS_STATVFS /* use <sys/statvfs.h> statfs() impl
*/
# ifndef _PATH_VENDOR_CF
# define _PATH_VENDOR_CF "/var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf"
# endif
# ifndef _PATH_SENDMAILPID
# define _PATH_SENDMAILPID "/var/run/sendmail.pid"
# endif
# define bcopy(s, d, l) (memmove((d), (s), (l)))
# define bzero(d, l) (memset((d), '\0', (l)))
# define bcmp(s, d, l) (memcmp((s), (d), (l)))
#endif

The path is exactly what I'm expecting, why it doens't works?

Again thanks in advance to all who can help me on those 2 questions.

Felix Maurer
Die Schweizerische Post Tel: +41-31-338 98 49
Informatik POST Fax: +41-31-338 98 80
Messaging Management
Webergutstrasse 12 Mailto:maurerf_at_post.ch
CH-3030 Bern http://www.post.ch