[Q] "fresh" install of DU4.0E on a Digital Personal Workstation: has anyone done this?

From: Toni Harbaugh-Blackford <harbaugh_at_ncifcrf.gov>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 11:25:49 -0500

Folks-

Has anyone successfully performed a "fresh" install of DU4.0E on a
Digital Personal Workstation with a PowerStorm graphics card (in
particular a 4D51T)?

I attempted this and although the install of 4.0E itself went fine
(using the VGA graphics driver since the 4D51T drivers are not
included in 4.0E), the subsequent install of Open3D 4.8 (which *does*
contain the 4D51T drivers) has not been successful.

Now the system boots, but appears to go into an infinite loop of trying
and failing to start the X server to the console. I have looked for
error messages in the logs and found only the following repeated message
in /var/dt/Xerrors:

X Error of failed request: Badlength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request: 133 (DEC-Direct-Render)
  Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
  Serial number of failed request: 3

Note that I tried installing Open3D 4.9, but the installation script
specifically *FILTERS OUT* DU 4.0E, only allowing installation on DU4.0D.

Any assistance in resolving and/or analyzing this problem is greatly
appreciated.