From: George Gallen <ggallen_at_slackinc.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:35:21 -0500

It doesn't appear as if any errors occured during the reboot
Nothing looks out of place.

Normally the clearing only takes a few minutes. The only thing
I can think of was I had 40mb of files (maybe 1000 at most)
  that weren't there prior to any other reboot. Possibly these
  extra files were the culprit.

The /tmp was only 1gb in size and ufs in type.
I don't believe the clearing was searching all filesystems
  as only the drive that /tmp is mounted to was lit.

Thanks to those who replied on things to look at
but at present, I have no other explaination, other
than rebooting again, checking the time, then removeing
the files that were never there before (in /tmp) and
rebooting again and seeing if it takes it's normal time.
(but that will have to wait till I get a backup tape!!!)

George Gallen
ggallen_at_slackinc.com