Consequences of System's IP address not matching its /etc/hosts e ntry?

From: Smith, Gavin <SmithG_at_capitagroup.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:52:00 +0000

Hi,

We run an application on one of our Alphaserver 2100's that reads
the system's IP address from /etc/hosts whenever it is restarted.

We've recently had a network change which necessitates client PC's
that use the application accessing our system via a firewall. The
pseudo IP address they use is different to the system's real IP
address.

The client applications cannot communicate correctly with the server
unless we change the system's IP address in /etc/hosts to the pseudo
IP address.

What are the consequences of doing this? I know that the 'R'
commands appear to look in /etc/hosts for the system's IP, so rsh's
from this system to itself fail. (Our Oracle start-up script does this).
NFS and X still appear to work to and from the system.

Is there anything else that is likely to fail?

The only other way I can see of getting this to work is to temporarily
change the /etc/hosts entry when the application is restarted and then
change it back.

Any thoughts on this are welcome...

TIA

Gavin.