Firmware Problems

From: Paul Watson <phwatso_at_cooper-energy-services.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:41:33 +0000

We needed to add a RAID array onto an Alphastation 255, having assembled
the hardware and connected everything up, I then proceeded onto the disk
configuration.

Problem #1 the config software only comes on floppy disk, I managed to
borrow a drive from an older Alphastation 250 4/266 and install into the
255.

Problem #2 the config software requires the Windows NT ARC console to
load the software from the floppy drive and being a Unix site we use the
SRM console, OK I thought I will simply switch console modes at the boot
prompt. Apparently the 255 workstations only support either/or consoles
not both so you cannot simply switch between them. Now I start to get
nervous I have about a 50% success rate updating firmware in the past
and vowed to never do it again unless I had to, the only solution to a
firmware upgrade which fails is to replace the whole motherboard.

Problem #3 I get the firmware CD read all the information, take a deep
breath and proceed to boot from the CD I select update ARC console and
to my relief the installation proceeds without problem. The final
message (and I mean FINAL) was to cycle the power down for 20 seconds.
On powering up all I get is a blank monitor with its blinking green
light, although the hard disk powers up OK.

So my question is does this sound like another motherboard replacement
or could something else have decided to fail at that exact moment ie the
graphics card.
--
Regards, Paul Watson MSc(M:MT)(Open) - CAD Systems Supervisor
  Cooper Energy Services, Bootle, Liverpool, UK.