SUMMARY: Shm-max

From: <Simon.Millard_at_barclays.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:22:35 +0000

Thanks to the people who responded.

robert_at_gnsconsulting.com.au replied,

I would guess you could go as high as you want. In other words I don't
think you would want to set it higher than 512M on this machine you are
talking about. Therefore you won't have to worry about how high you can
set it. I have seen it at 4G on an 8400.

Willig.Reimund_at_gdr.dr responded with,

The max size of a System V Shared memory segment is 2GB.

Benoit.Sylvain_at_digital.com added,

Using dxkerneltuner, you set the maximum value to 2147483647 ( 2Gb )

Tony.J.McGovern_at_aib.ie and Davis_at_Tessco.Com provided the means to check
the max values:

Use the sysconfig -Q <subsys> to get min and max values.

 sysconfig -Q ipc
 shm-max - Type=INT op=CQ min_val=0 max_val=2147483647
shm-max is : 2gb - 1byte

Caprica7_at_aol.com provided information as to what the value is used for:

The "shm-max" value is the maximum size of a single System V shared
memory region. This will be expressed in either bytes or a number of
pages (8K, unless you've changed this) in your kernel, and it'll show
up in /etc/sysconfigtab if you've manually tweaked this value.

So what does this mean? Some applications utilize System V-style memory
management. We have one at our site: An enterprise app built around an
Informix engine that uses System V memory management. So we have to
tweak these values for performance. If you don't have an app that uses
System V memory management, then you can forget about this, and its
associated values.

To summarize,

As this system only has 512 Mb of RAM, I will be configuring shm-max to
256 Mb. This will give us a starting point. Some of my 3.2 systems
have this value set to 8 Mb.

Thanks to all of the contributors.

Simon.Millard_at_barclays.co.uk

Address Telephone
CAS - GES/Open Systems Support External: (01202) 601155 ext 2417
Barclays Technology Services Internal: C/W 7-4160-2417
Poole Computer Centre Fax: (01202) 642429
81, Sopers Lane
Poole, Dorset

Live Long and Prosper and may the polarity of your neutron flow never
be reversed!

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group does
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views
or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of the Barclays Group unless otherwise specifically stated.