SUMMARY:to 4.0E or not to 4.0E - that is the question

From: John Peter Gormley <jgormley_at_grizzly.scu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:02:40 +1100

 Thankyou for the quick responses from

 Andrew "Alf" Leahy
 Alan Davis
 Stephen LaBelle
 Bryan Dunlap
 Maurice Steyvers
 Todd Acheson

 Original Question:

 Managers et al,
My apologies if this question is repetative but having read the archives I am
still confused as to whether the correct path to upgrade is to DU4.0E or 4.0D
with patches.
I have 20 systems ranging from 3000 series through to a variety of Alphservers
and Alphastations. They are currently on versions of DU3.2, DU4.0B, DU4.0C, 4.0D
and one on 4.0E (three days without problems -yet!). I want to standardise the
levels and have been instructed to bring the machines into Y2K compliance by
May.
I have read postings by Garry Clegg, Pat Wilson, Simon Millard and Karen Byrd
and to summarise their listings DU4.0D with BL11 is more advanced than 4.0E,
4.0D with patch 2 or 3 is a differnt animal than 4.0E, 4.0E supports EV6,
NetRain and the new ECU symbol (none of which I believe I need) and the official
release of Sendmail v8 (which I do utilise).
So my question is can anybody give me a definitive answer on whether I should
upgrade and sit at 4.0D with patches or standardise at 4.0E, and if so why?

The general consesus is to take care when upgrading to any new version prior to
patch release, however some repondents, including Bryan Dunlap, have
standardised their systems on DU4.0E without any hassles.
It seems that there is an overlap between versions, such that DU4.0D with
patches applied is ahead of DU4.0E without patches, however, as at yesterday
(17/2/1999) a patch for DU4.0E became available that will bring DU4.0E up to
scratch.
                ----------------------------------

Below are excerpts from some of the answers:

Funny you should ask, John...

The answer changed today based on the fact that
the first patch kit for v4.0E was announced today.

The kit is available from Compaq Services and is
on their web site in the usual place.

There will /probably/ be additional "pre-release" patches in
a week or so, there is ongoing work on vm performance
and some advfs updates that didn't get into this
patch release and will be ported from v4.0d pk3 to
v4.0e pk1. This has been the pattern for a number of
releases, and in talking with the CSC, they expect it to
continue.

Alan Davis
Tru64 Unix Consultant
                  ---------------------------------
 Compaq just released the first patch kit for DU4.0E today, its
available from their public FTP site. The patch kit should make
4.0E BLD11.

Hope this helps you.

                                                Steve
                ---------------------------------
After consulting DEC (Compaq) we decided to upgrade our systems to 4.0E.
There is always an overlap between a new release (like 4.0E) and patches
to older releases (4.0D). Indeed 4.0D with latest patches is more up to
date then 4.0E. So if you run your systems without any trouble now it's
very unlikely that installing 4.0E will introduce any new problems. As
soon as
the 4.0E patch kit is released install it and you are up to date.

Maurice
                ---------------------------------
DEC should have a patchkit#1 for DU4.0E, I guess this will
bring 4.0E inline with patchkit#3 for DU4.0D.

Andrew "Alf" Leahy,

Thanks once again for the quick responses, hopefully this will help out a few
others pondering the same path.

John Gormley
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Southern Cross University