SUMMARY: rsh from PC

From: pricha - Phil Richardson <PRICHA_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:37:12 +0100

My original question:

Anyone managed to perform any rsh calls from a PC running NT to a
Compaq UNIX box ?
I'm running NT4 workstation and I'd like to rsh to a DEC UNIX 4.0E
box, the .rhosts and hosts.equiv settings seem to be OK (they
certainly work for all the other hosts named bar the PC) , and I've
got my PC named in the /etc/hosts file on the UNIX server. I keep
getting "permission denied", is there something I'm missing
?
Phil Richardson

With thanks to:
John Seel
W Mills
John Robens
Jacques Demeulemeester

W Mills suggested that I should give Exceed a try. This was indeed the
software I was attempting to do the rsh using the xstart command, but
to no avail. John Robens asked whether tcp_wrapper was causing the
permission to be denied, but we don't have tcp_wrapper on the
servers.

The honours go to Ofer Kesler (Ofer_Kessler_at_icomverse.com)

who mailed me a great liitle shareware program called winrsh. I
installed this and it works great. Many thanks to Ofer. No idea why
this version of rsh works and yet neithrt NT4's or Exceed's version
don't.

Regards

Phil Richardson

Phil Richardson