Multi-tape tar archive problem

From: Christopher Knorr <cknorr_at_hops.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:05:59 -0400

I have 2 4000-class machines, both running DU4.0D (with latest patches).
One of the machines ("oak") has a TZ88 tape drive. The other machine
("arnold") has a TZ89 tape drive. We create multi-tape tar archives on the
TZ88, using the "10/15" compress option on the tape drive. The archive is
created with no errors and might take 2 or 3 tapes. (This problem is wholly
reproducible.) The command we're using to create the archive is:

% tar -cvf /dev/rmt2h -r file.txt (where file.txt contains a list of files
we want to backup)

After the first tape is finished it asks us to mount the next tape and then
after typing "go" it does the next tape, etc.

We then try to do a directory listing of the tape. (The same problem
presumably happens if we try to restore.) The command we use is:

% tar -tvf /dev/rmt2h

The first tape is read fine, but then we get the message "unexpected eof -
quitting the program". If we use the command:

% tar -tvMf /dev/rmt2h

after the first tape it does ask us to mount the next tape, but then gives
the message "this file doesn't contain the XXXXXX file", where XXXXXX is
the name of the file that presumably is spanning tapes.

The kicker to the whole thing is that if we take the tar archive to our
TZ89 on the other 4100 ("arnold") it works fine. The command:

% tar -tvf /dev/rmt2h

yields a directory listing of all our files! After the first tape it
graciously asks us to mount the next tape and rocks on from there.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

regards

Chris
Chris

cknorr_at_hops.com