SUMMARY: "no directory on su - and no shell on su"

From: Bruce B. Platt <bbp_at_comport.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:15:46 -0400

The prize goes to John P Speno <speno_at_isc.upenn.edu>, who suggested:

"Assuming the shell and directory really do exist, then:
Check for /etc/passwd.dir and /etc/passwd.pag files. That's the authoritive
source for /etc/passwd info.
If they are out of sync, you'll need to /usr/sbin/mkpasswd /etc/passwd. "

It worked!

Original Question:

On a V3.2G system, about to be upgraded, my user claims he has not changed
anything, and now he cannot su - username or su username while logged in as
the superuser.

I looked in the archives and tried all the standard things like looking at
/etc/shells, checking the correspondence between the entries in
/etc/passwd, file and directory permissions, etc.

All these look fine, though I did notice a discepancy between the /usr
group entry and the /usr/users group entry between his system and mine
(which is V4.0d). I have no V3.2G systems to check.

His entry for /usr shows its group as system, and his /usr/users show group
of users. Mine shows group of system for both.

Does anyone have any ideas here what could be wrong here?

I will summarize. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bruce B. Platt, Ph.D.
Comport Consulting Corporation
78 Orchard Street, Ramsey, NJ 07446
Phone: 201-236-0505 Fax: 201-236-1335
bbp_at_comport.com, bruce_at_ bruce.platt_at_
OR, bruce_at_bbplatt.com