Top v3.5beta9

From: Jim Fitzmaurice <jpfitz_at_fnal.gov>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:31:30 -0500

Hi,
        I was looking for top, so first, I checked the archives. I found a recent
summary referring to:

>I found v3.5beta9 on
                http://ftp.tcp.com/pub/software/top/

The manager mentioned in the summary, that it gave him a warning during the
compile, but it runs. I got no errors or warnings from the compile, but mine
doesn't run. I get:

                <d0> top
                Memory fault(coredump)

And the same thing even as root:

                <root> top
                Memory fault - core dumped

except as root it screws up the eXceed telnet session on my NT machine. (I
get no line feeds when I hit enter and can't enter any commands.)
I followed all of the instructions of the README files explicitly. I
followed the tip that recommended to compile without OPTIMIZATION if the
OPTIMIZED version failed. But no luck, same error. The file looks like this:

                <d0> ls -l top
                -rwsr-sr-x 1 root kmem 360448 May 10 09:29 top

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jim Fitzmaurice
jpfitz_at_fnal.gov

UNIX is very user friendly, It's just very particular about who it makes
friends with.