SUMMARY: Priority Scheduling Utility

From: Jon Eidson <J.Eidson_at_TCU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:51:53 -0500 (CDT)

First off, BIG THANKS to all who responed. I have definately looked
at the new class_scheduling that comes w/version 4.0d. While it does
not do exactly what I'm wanting, it is a definate start. The "autonice"
feature look closer to what I'm wanting. I'll investigate it as well.
I've also need to take the time to look at NQS. While my users tend to
submit jobs by using "&" I'm not as sure about NQS ... but will
investigate it also.

All messages follow. Thanks again! Jon Eidson (J.Eidson_at_tcu.edu)

My origional message:

From: Paul Henderson <henderson_at_unx.dec.com>

You might want to use class scheduling for this. See Tom Webster's summary
posted today.

Regards,
Paul

--
Paul Henderson
Tru64 Unix Engineering, Compaq Computer Corporation
>From billm_at_zk3.dec.com Wed Jun 30 18:39:10 1999
Hi Jon,
look at the class scheduling introduced in 4.0d ! (man class_admin)
hth,
/marco
--
Marco Bill Peter
UNIX Support Engineering Group
From: harish arora <harisharora_at_hotmail.com>
Hi jon,
If you look into the man pages of class_scheduling,it will provide
you great help but it's available from 4.0D version onwards.
Thanks
Harish Arora
Unix system administrator
From: Daniel S. Riley <dsr_at_mail.lns.cornell.edu>
At the very crudest level, there are some process subsystem attributes
you can set:
  autonice (autonice)
     When enabled (1), applications that use more than 600 seconds of
     CPU time will automatically increase their nice values (that is,
     lower their scheduling priorities).
     Default value: 0 (disabled)
  autonice-penalty
     The nice value that is assigned to a process after it has used an
     amount of CPU time that exceeds the value of the autonice-time
     attribute.
     Default value: 4
  autonice-time
     The amount of CPU time, in seconds, that a process can use before
     it is assigned the nice value that is specified by the
     autonice-penalty attribute.
     Default value: 600
A typical entry in /etc/sysconfigtab would look something like this:
proc:
	autonice = 1
	autonice-penalty = 10
	autonice-time = 300
Probably requires a reboot to take effect.
From: Richard Bemrose <rb237_at_phy.cam.ac.uk>
Hi,
It would seem that you require a Network Queueing System (NQS). We solved
similar problems but rolling out Generic-NQS (www.gnqs.org) and set all
queues to run at nice level 5. To enforce the user to submit his job via
NQS we set the shells maximum CPU time to 3 hours within the default
(bash, csh or tcsh) shells and profiles.
For more information regarding various NQS implementations look in the
tru64-unix-managers archive for Jim R Jones' <Jim.R.Jones_at_Cummins.com>
summary with the subject "Summary: looking for a batch queing software"
(posted a few days ago).
Regards,
Rich