TruCluster & EMC

From: Lisa Phillips <jgberry80_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 16:32:22 -0400 (EDT)

We have three Alpha 4100's running Compaq Tru64 UNIX 4.0E. They are in a
clustered environment. Storage is an EMC Symmetrix 3330.

When originally installing the Alpha servers we had two SCSI Channels going
from each server into the Symmetrix. When trying install the TruCluster
software (ASE Manager) we were unable to get it working. After going around
in circles with Digital and EMC it was decided the configuration we had, two
channels from each server to the EMC, would not work with TruCluster. A
requirement of TruCluster is that ALL servers in the cluster must be on a
shared SCSI bus.

After reconfiguring the servers so there was a daisy chain between each
server (termination on one server, two in the middle and termination at the
EMC box) then to the EMC we were able to install and configure the
TruCluster software to work.

There is a HUGE problem with this configuration though… actually a couple.
First - there is one point of failure. All three servers on the same SCSI
bus are connected to one channel on the EMC. If the EMC channel goes down
the whole system is down. Secondly, ALL disk I/O for all three servers is
on one SCSI Bus. Not exactly efficient, especially when you think about
what you're trying to accomplish with the Alpha's and EMC - performance and
redundancy.

The EMC people I'm speaking with seem to think this configuration is not
correct, but can't get anyone at Compaq to confirm this. Does anyone have
this same environment but been able to configure the TruCluster in such a
way you don't have the one point of failure? Any pointers will be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa Phillips