[Summary] RE "Re: Sendmail Alias fails"

From: George A. Dowding <dowdingg_at_saturn.math.uaa.alaska.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 18:43:08 -0800 (AKDT)

Thanks to:
        Jie Gao
        Tymm Twillman
        Jerome M. Berkman
        Torsten Mohrbach
        Bob Vickers
        Piotr Konieczny
        Ian Goodacre
        Chad Price
        Steve VanDevender
        Jim Williams

Question 1. Is it normal for /var to be a link to /usr/var
Answer: yes.

Question 2. How do I get my aliases to work given the sendmail
warning that I have group writable directories.

Answers:

The general answer was that I should read the error message and change
the permissions on the relavant directories. I had to modify /usr/var
and /var/spool/mail. Another option was to modify the sendmail
configuration to allow the less safe permissions.

It was also pointed out that each parent directory had to be set to
the safe permissions.

However as I found out rebooting changes the permissions back.
Bob Vickers said it better than I could:

The permissions on /usr/var are stupidly clobbered by one of the DEC
post-startup scripts. You can safely remove group write access, but it
will only last until the next reboot.

--
Thanks,
George