Using netgroups with medium sized groups

From: Bob Vickers <bobv_at_dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:01:28 +0100 (BST)

Dear wise ones,

I have been using /etc/netgroups and NIS for some time to control access
to our machines and it has been working very smoothly. But a couple of
days ago one of the groups grew a little and it all went pear-shaped.

My experiments suggest that makedbm has an undocumented
restriction of about 1024 characters per line. (makedbm is one of the
commands that gets executed when you do cd /var/yp;make). I tried putting
continuation markers (backslash) in /etc/netgroup, but it didn't seem to
help.

The message I get from makedbm is:

problem storing third-year-ugrads (-,adriant,) ....

There are comments in /var/yp/Makefile which suggest I can solve the
problem by setting METHOD=b in it. This does indeed stop makedbm
complaining, but the other commands in the Makefile no longer work. I get
the following messages:

platon# make -f Makefile.btree netgroup
updated netgroup
Map 'netgroup' is empty for domain 'compsci'
Can't bind master to send ypclear message to ypserv for map netgroup.
Map 'ypslaves.platon.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk' is empty for domain 'compsci'

yppush listener: Garbage transaction status (value 4) from ypxfr on
sartre.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk.
Status received from ypxfr on tartan.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk:
        Failed - ypxfr couldn't get the map master's address.
Map 'ypslaves.platon.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk' is empty for domain 'compsci'

yppush listener: Garbage transaction status (value 4) from ypxfr on
sartre.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk.
Status received from ypxfr on tartan.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk:
        Failed - ypxfr couldn't get the map master's address.
Map 'netgroup.byhost' is empty for domain 'compsci'
Can't bind master to send ypclear message to ypserv for map
netgroup.byhost.
Map 'ypslaves.platon.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk' is empty for domain 'compsci'

yppush listener: Garbage transaction status (value 4) from ypxfr on
sartre.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk.
Status received from ypxfr on tartan.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk:
        Failed - ypxfr couldn't get the map master's address.
pushed netgroup

Does anyone have any ideas?
Bob
Bob Vickers R.Vickers_at_dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk
Dept of Computer Science, Royal Holloway, University of London
WWW: http://www.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk/home/bobv
Phone: +44 1784 443691