SUMMARY: power up status lights

From: Dan Kirkpatrick <dkirk_at_suhep.phy.syr.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:38:13 -0400

Thanks for the help! Turns out the lights were hexadecimal error code FA,
which meant "First of three memory tests complete. Executing the
second of three tests. Backup cache references ON;
data cache OFF.
Memory test failure (fatal error)."

So I reseated the cpu and memory, same thing... then tried all different
configurations with less memory... same thing... "If a failure still
occurs, then replace the system or CPU module, or both". And since this
system is one of our oldest, without hardware maintenance, just
maintaining NFS disks, it will be retired.

It would be nice to be able to find error codes/troubleshooting like this
on compaq/digital's website.

Thanks again!
--Dan

>We have a DEC 3000-M300 that won't boot up... doesn't show anything on dumb
>terminal set as console, or on the monitor. The system seems to powerup and
>displays a pattern of lights on the right side (ON ON ON ON - ON OFF ON OFF).
>
>Does anyone know what these mean? Hopefully it'll clue in to the error.
>Any manuals are long gone.... and cant find much online.
>
>Thanks.

Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk_at_phy.syr.edu
Computer Systems Manager
Department of Physics