SUMMARY: Sllllooowwww RIS booting

From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias_at_draco.acs.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 08:52:13 -0700

My original message:

 I'm booting an Alphastation 200 4/233 via RIS. It takes about 10 minutes
 for it to tftp the kernel over, which seems overly long to me. I can
 tftp the kernel to another system in under 30 seconds. The RIS server and
 the system I'm booting are on the same hub, I've changed the ports and cables,
 etc. The RIS server is not loaded (in fact, it's the system I have on
 my desk), and the network is not loaded at all.

 Also, every once in a while I get "Block FFFFFFF2 is not in any zone" messages
 during the boot (on the client), and sometimes the boot stalls at that point,
 and I have to restart it. This can get frustrating if the boot has been going
 for a while.

 Any one know what the above message means, or why the booting is so slow?
 The RIS server is running DU 4.0B, the client has the firmware that came
 with 4.0F installed (I think it's version 7.0).

I did some more testing this morning, and it looks like v7.0 of the
firmware has some problems with network booting. When I installed
v6.6 (came with 4.0D) of the firmware, it took about 20-30 seconds to
load the RIS kernel over the network. I guess our friends at
Compaq have some work to do on the firmware...

Thanks to all that replied with suggestions or comments.

Mike Iglesias Internet: iglesias_at_draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Office of Academic Computing FAX: 949-824-2069