[SUMMARY] Remote Printing (was Need help with printcap)

From: Russell G Auld <rauld_at_grove.ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:53:09 -0400

Summary of original post:
------------------------
I was trying to get some DU boxes to send print jobs to
a remote printer that's connected to an IRIX box.
It wasn't working even though the printcap on
the client DU boxes appeared to be properly configured.

Summary of solution:
-------------------

Several folks responed and felt my pain! They sent in samples
of their printcap files that work with networked printers.
One person pointed out that IRIX uses System V style printing
while DU uses the BSD style. This means that there is NO lpd
process running on the IRIX system (the daemon that handles the
spooling of jobs) On IRIX its known as 'lpsched'
Ok, so I made sure that lpsched was running on the IRIX box
(This particular box is IRIX 6.4)
According to the man pages for lpsched, it listens to the
lpd port (515 I think) and takes requests off of it.
Ok, so it was supposedly listening ... the next issue
was that of telling the server machine (IRIX) to accept
jobs from the remote DU clients. This is done (and not very well
documented) by adding machine names to the .rhosts file in the
/var/spool/lp directory - which is the home dir for the lp process
in IRIX. So I did this, and still the jobs were not printing from
the remote DU machines. They would just sit in the queue indefintely.
At this point it was getting really frustrating, since by all accounts
it should be working at this point.
So then I started checking that the various services and ports were
open. All was fine. Finally, I thought 'since this uses .rhosts, it
must need rsh or something to work. So I looked a little further and
noticed that rexecd was not running on the server machine (IRIX)
So I started it up, stopped and restarted all daemons and the like, and
lo and behold it worked! So the problem was that rexecd wasn't running,
and it needs to be. This is not documented AT ALL.
So now the users submit jobs with the 'lpr' command on the DU boxes
and the printcap looks like this on the DU machines:

lp0|0|lp:\
        :af=/usr/adm/lp0acct:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lp0err:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=<remote-machine name>:\
        :rp=HP6MP:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd:

Thanks to all that replied and pointed my in the right direction.
As a side note, older IRIX versions (below 6) have lpsched running, but
they
don't listen to lpd printer port (lpd printer port 515)

Russ