ddr.db ownership and permissions as well as related issues

From: Irene A. Shilikhina <irene_at_alpha.iae.nsk.su>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 17:30:06 +0600 (NSK)

Hello managers,

initially the ownership and permissions of ddr files were the following:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 18108 Apr 30 1999 /etc/ddr.db
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 59580 Dec 30 1997 /etc/ddr.dbase

After rebuilding the data base (/sbin/ddr_config -c as root) I have:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root system 18108 Nov 3 13:41 /etc/ddr.db

If I'm doing it as bin, I'm getting:

Error: Permission denied
ddr_config: Unable to open DDR database file /etc/ddr.db
       ** Update of DDR database aborted **

It's almost the same what I've noticed in booting messages yet since I
installed the system (4.0D):

Nov 1 13:44:10 alpha vmunix: DDR: WARNING: Unable to obtain Device Information
Database
Nov 1 13:44:10 alpha vmunix: Unable to open file /etc/ddr.db
Nov 1 13:44:10 alpha vmunix: DDR: WARNING: Basic Defaults will be used.

and what a few messages in the archives are referring to.

The way to get rid of that seems to be unknown - the accociated summaries
do not have any suggestions but mention that nothing else has been noticed
as going wrong. Now I'm slightly perplexed because having a problem with my
tape device and searching the solution to it, I have to try some things with
this database, and I must be sure that the base is OK. "Basic Defaults will
be used" doesn't satisfy me at the moment.

So, what permissions and ownership must be installed on these files and
what new information is there on this inconsistency?

Thanks,
Irene
* *
* Irene A. Shilikhina e-mail: irene_at_alpha.iae.nsk.su *
* System administrator, *
* Institute of Automation & Electrometry, *
* Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, *
* Novosibirsk, Russia *
* http://www.iae.nsk.su/~irene *
* *
* The road to hell is paved with good intentions. *
* *