SUMMARY: How to install Tru64 Unix on Alpha currently running NT4

From: Lim, Tom \(Contractor\) <"Lim,>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 15:26:38 -0500

Thanks to all the folks who replied to date including the following:

John J. Francini [francini_at_zk3.dec.com]
J Bacher [jb_at_jbacher.com]
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
Edward Branley [elendil_at_yatcom.com]
bac [bac20000_at_yahoo.com]
Nikola Milutinovic [Nikola.Milutinovic_at_ev.co.yu]
Ziomek, John [ZIOMEKJ_at_PIOS.com]

Basically, the solution is to apply the latest firmware updates and then do
the following (from John J. Francini):

Enter Setup by pressing F2 during the AlphaBIOS network and SCSI tests.

Select CMOS Setup.

Press F6 for Advanced Settings.

Tab down to "Console Selection: Windows NT Console (AlphaBIOS)".

Use the down- or up-arrow keys to select "UNIX Console (SRM)".

Press F10 twice, then press ENTER to confirm your changes.

Press the reset button on the workstation. The system will then come
up in the SRM console.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Unfortunately, after I completed the Tru64 Unix v5.0 installation and
performed the quick setup, I am unable to get this machine to talk to the
network even though it was seeing the network previously under NT. I am
using a static IP address supplied by our network admins as well as the
appropriate network info such as the DNS servers and their IP addresses,
gateway server, etc.

Anyway, thanks to all for the timely assistance.

Tomas Lim
ATS, Inc.
Tom_Lim_at_ed.gov