tar query

From: IanG . <iangillon_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:12:57 +0000

Hi all,

I am running a tar command to copy oracle datafiles out to tape, and am
excluding our read-only datafiles by using the '-e' flag. I wondered whether
there was a way to use this to specify a file including the list of all
files I wish excluded, rather than repeating lots of '-e' statements.

I see that there is a flag '-R' which is sort of what I want to do, but not
exactly. '-R' = the named file immediately following this option contains a
list of file names separated by newlines.

Any pointers???
DU 4.0F

Thanks in advance
IanG