SUMMARY: Firewalls for Tru64 5.1

From: Ron Parker <rparker_at_brazosport.cc.tx.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:06:05 -0600 (CST)

Many thanks to Juan Carlos Cruz, Thomas Leitner, Graham Allan, Joerg
Bruehe, and Nikola Milutinovic for their responses. The full text of their
messages is included below.

I've looked at the Raptor product some but was curious to see if anything
else might be more highly recommended. I'm planning to check out IPFilter
and SUsE as well.

--
Ron Parker, Network Administrator, Brazosport College
Voice: (979) 230-3480             FAX: (979) 230-3443
From: Juan Carlos Cruz
AltaVista Firewall is now Raptor Firewall EC of AXENT
---
From: Thomas Leitner
IPFilter Version 4 (currently in Beta) will support Tru64 5.1.
It is a great package with lots of features. I'm using it under Solaris.
Check out:
          http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ip-filter.html
However, I can't tell when it's really finished.
---
From: Graham Allan
I saw a message floating around somewhere that the latest or
about-to-appear version of ipfilter would run on Tru64 5.x.
It might not be what you're looking for - not exactly a full-scale
firewall - but I'm not sure if there's anything else out there!
---
From: Nikola Milutinovic
AltaVista has been bought by Axent. It is now Axent's Raptor Firewall EC
4.1 for Tru64 UNIX.
I'm not aware of any other solution. There are always TIS FWTk and
SOCKS-5 as freeware solutions. Add the latest BIND and Sendmail and
you'll look like a firewall. But if you're gonna go for that then you're
better off using Linux on Alpha, then Digital UNIX.
We still run AltaVista 98 on Digital UNIX 4.0D and do not plan on
upgrading. :-)
4.0F had a nasty "feature" regarding AdvFS - no tuning for large number
of files. That slowed the machine down to an unbarable level of
performance.
---
From: Joerg Bruehe
This is not exactly an answer to your question:
If your search fails, consider to put Linux onto that box -
mine runs fine as a workstation with SuSE 7.0 (AXP version).