how to substitute a no printable character by a string in a text file

From: ROBIN Jean-Marie \(EURIWARE S.A.\) <"ROBIN>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 17:00:38 +0100

Hello Managers,

I want to substitute in a file a no printable character by a
multi-characterstring, as something like that:

sed s/\octal_code/"my_string"/g myfile

sed does not like this syntax and I can't use tr, because my string is
multi-character...
Any suggestions?

ATTENTION :
Si vous n'êtes pas destinataire de ce message, vous n'êtes pas autorisé à copier, retransmettre, distribuer, révéler ou conserver le contenu de ce message.

WARNING :
If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to copy, disclose, distribute or retain in this e-mail.