SUMMARY: PS300 PCI without drivers?

From: Mark S. Yamnicky <marco_at_nirvana.es.hac.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:06:24 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for all the info and support. I really appreciate this dl. Special thanks
to Dr. Tom Blinn (of course), Octave Orgeron, Peter Stern, Arno Hahma and Mirna
Salmeron Guz.

ORIGINAL POST:
Tru64 Version 4.0F running on XP1000.
Can I use a Powerstorm 300 PCI graphics controller without loading the drivers
that engage the hardware acceleration? The customer has a collection of
homegrown applications and loading the PS3x0 drivers will prevent one of their
primary applications from launching. I've been trying but all I get is greyscale
and 640X480 resolution.

ANSWER:
Well you can but it won't be very pretty... (or very functional for that matter).
Lots of good responses, all included below. For this unique situation I replaced
the Powerstorm with a ELSA Gloria graphics adapter. Can you imagine that?
Replacing a Powerstorm with an ELSA?

>From Dr. Tom:
Without the Open3D drivers (the ones that "engage hardware acceleration") all
you are going to get is generic VGA support, and even that might wind up being
grayscale because CDE needs more colors than generic VGA provides, and it may
be falling back into greyscale mode as a result. Get a cheap but supported
graphics card and replace the Powerstorm with one that works for the applications
you need to run.

>From Octave Orgeron:
To solve your problem, you can disable the hardware
acceleration and use the software acceleration. If you
look in the installation notes for the driver you'll
see a section that describes this procedure. If you
have problems locating this it should be under:
/usr/opt/3x0/ It should be a PS doc.

>From Peter Stern:
I am pretty sure that the answer is no. When I installed 4.0F on my xp1000 with
the PS300 I got the same low resolution screen until the PS3x0 drivers were
installed.

>From Arno Hahma:
Yes, you can, but then you won't get more than 640x480 resolution
in text mode. I.e. no graphics without the Open3D drivers.

>From Mirna Salmeron Guz:
No, you should load the drivers:
http://www.support.compaq.com/open3d/swps350.htm
Before you install the drivers you have to desinstall al subsets of Open3D,
install a license for Open3D. You will found more information in
chapters 6 and 7 of the PowerStorm 300/350 Installation Guide