Oracle Performance Problems

From: Andrew Tolmie <Andrew.Tolmie_at_Carltonscreen.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:34:05 +0100

Hi Guy's,

I'm gonna try this one in case anyone can offer any good advice - where to look? tools? and so on.

2 ES40s - Primary (Database Server) - ES40 with 4*500 CPUs, 3 Gb, Tru64 4.0f PK3 running Oracle 8.0.5 + Oracle Applications (Manufacturing and Financials) 11.0.3 + Oracle Forms / Reports Server.
Secondary (Bespoke) - ES40 with 1*500 CPU, 512 Mb, Tru64 4.0f PK3 running Oracle Forms Server.

The primary server goes through periods of VERY high utilisation where all CPUs will be %0 idle with around %85 - %95 user with anything from %0 - %10 system. It has RA230 SWXCR controllers with through put at around 2Kbps to 5.5Kbps on the main database disks.

I have 3 main areas, 1 - OPERATIONS, 2 - CAMPAIGN MANAGEMENT (BESPOKE) and 3 - FINANCE. If any one area is running (e.g. FINANCE are running a Consolidation Report) a medium size report then the system becomes unusable for the others - so they have to wait for it to finish. This is obviously no good!!! I've managed to pin the main offender down to the Order Import process within Oracle Manufacturing. I've consequently spoken to Oracle about this and they have said that a) There are "slight" performance issues with Order Import and b) We are running this process on a large amount of records.

Unfortunately I don't know about anyone else but 4-5 hours to process 2200 records (each record will have 2-3 associated records) - this doesn't strike me as a large amount?!

I may be reading this wrong but there also appears to be paging in but not much paging out?

Help?

AT

This e-mail and any attachment is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the named recipient only. If you have received it in error, please do not forward it or copy it or act upon its contents,
but report it to postmaster_at_carltonscreen.com

Any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this communication without the permission of the addressee is prohibited.

The contents of an attachment to this e-mail may contain software viruses, which could damage your computer system or data. While Carlton Screen Advertising Ltd has taken reasonable precautions to prevent the inclusion of viruses in e-mails and attachments, neither it nor the sender can accept any liability for any loss or damage sustained as a result of software viruses. You are strongly advised to carry out your own virus checking before opening any attachments.