very strange network behavior

From: Graham Donovan <graham37_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 16:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,
I hope that one of you has seen this before and knows the proper fix! I
have a a DEC personal workstation 500au running Tru64 5.1 whose primary
purpose in life is to run httpd and sftp. Both services provide transfer
rates of around 100k/sec to the outside world, which is the limit of our
connection. However, on the lan we can't transfer to this machine any
faster than 8k/sec (when it's plugged into a 10bt hub) or about 80k/sec
(when it's plugged into a 100bt hub or switch). The other machines on our
network transfer at about the expected rate (700k for 10bt and 2mb for
100bt). I have tried setting ewa0 to full duplex, auto-negotiate, and
fastfd, with no significant improvement. Any ideas, anyone?

thanks,
graham

Graham Donovan
graham37_at_u.washington.edu