SUMMARY : Limitations of vdump

From: Charlton, Mark <Mark.Charlton_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:40:28 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for the responses from Bryan Mills, Alan Nabeth, Dr. Thomas Blinn and
Joe Fletcher.

The upshot being that vdump is designed to be able to backup any valid
filesystem that can be created with ufs or advfs.

Joe already backs up 150gb filesystems on a regular basis using vdump.

Bryan Mills suggested using cpio.

It was also suggested that bugs do occasionally make there way into
products, so although theoretically what we want to do should be possible,
in reality there may be problems - depending on version of the O/S and patch
kit. We're running 4.0f and patch kit 2 - (pk 5 being the latest for that
version of the O/S that I can see at the moment)

>From our point of view we will test our new way of backing up, using vdump
to create a saveset on another filesystem into which the data will be stored
- if there is a problem with vdump itself, we'll log a call with Compaq.
We'll also test the restore process too!!!

thanks again for everyone's help

Mark

Original Post:

Hi,

Are there any limitations as to how much data and how many directories/files
that vdump can back up in a single operation?

We are considering backing up a 200gb filesystem to another filesystem using
vdump.

Is this feasible?

Many thanks

Mark