TruCluster 5.X questions...

From: Edward J. Branley <ed_at_softadv.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:49:19 -0500

Hi, folks. I'm in Day 4 of week-long TruCluster Configuration/Management class this week, and my class has come up with some interesting questions that have stumped me. Hopefull y'all can supply the answers.

Cluster Alias subsystem:

netstat -H or arp -a will tell you who is acting as the router for a cluster alias, so long as you're not on that machine. But, if you do either command from the member that actually is the alias router at a given time, you won't get back the information. Is there a command that will tell you which machine is acting as an alias router at a given point in time?

telnet when using cluster aliases:

When you telnet into a cluster alias (default or otherwise), you get back the standard login prompt which includes the hostname for the member. Is it possible to change this so that the login prompt returns the hostname of the cluster alias used?

telnet question #2:

Say you set up a cluster alias and instruct your users to only telnet through that alias rather than using DEFAULTALIAS. Is there a way to block port 23 for DEFAULTALIAS while leaving it open for the additonal alias? Note that we want to do this *inside* Tru64, not outside the o/s, as in on a router.

Fun group this week, good puzzlers. Hope you guys can provide some insight.

Cheers,
Ed.
---
Edward J. Branley   elendil_at_yatcom.com, ed_at_softadv.com
Seashell Software, New Orleans, LA
Home Page/PGP public key at www.yatcom.com/ejb
Tru64/TruCluster Instructor, Institute for Software Advancement, www.softadv.com