SUMMARY Max. number of open files (sockets)

From: Dockal, Vladimir <Vladimir.Dockal_at_Compaq.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:55:30 +0200

QUESTION
max. number of open files(better say sockets) via one IP address (better say
one network interface) on Tru64 V5.

ANSWERS
1. You can use 'dxkerneltuner' to configure the maximum number of files one
can open. These values are part of 'proc' subsystem in the menu
2. I think the upper limit on the number of file descriptors per process may
be the only real limit, as long as you have enough RAM.
3. check the socket-stanza for somaxconn and sominconn # sysconfig -q socket
or go to dxkerneltuner
4. If you mean sockets, then that is limited by the number of available
connection ports open to the daemon

SUMMARY
I was looking for the general number and I've received some answers.
So the way is in changing the 'sominconn' and 'somaxconn' kernel values.
There is note in a sheet about internet servers says there is no problem to
have approximately 65000 pending sockets. Unfortunately I can't say that is
the max. number of open sockets.
We've tested 2000 ftp connections to DS20E Alpha from Tandem and everything
was fine.

THANKS TO :
Sreenivasa Prasad, Dean D'Amico, Andreas Maagdenberg, Derk Tegeler, Ivan
Kolebaba and Jeff.

Vladimir Dockal
Compaq Computer, s.r.o.
Czech Republic