SUMMARY: binlogd _at_host

From: Mark S. Yamnicky <marco_at_nirvana.ES.bss.boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:18:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to all who replied... especially Serguei Patchkovsk who spent
a little extra time with me and Jim Treadwell of Compact who confirmed
there are some problems which should be addressed in 5.1a.

################ Problem #################

Tru64 Version 4.0F (Patch Kit 4) running on Compaq XP1000 workstations.

I tried to centralize the binary error logging to a single system by
editing the /etc/binlog.conf file to include the line:

*.* _at_host.domain

I updated the /etc/services file to include the correct entry:
binlog 706/udp
(or add the alias binlog to the existing binlogd line)

I run binlogd in debug mode on both systems and user logger to post a
message. On the sending machine, I get confirmation the message was
sent. tcpdump confirmed data being delivered from the client to the
receiving host on port 706. On the recieving system I get the following
error:

 logevent()
        trailer check: 0
        hdrp=0x14000a800 reclen=0xfffe trailer=0x14001a7fa: 0???
        corrupted errlog record length or missing trailer!
        attempting to log record anyway...
        corrupted header record length value

################## SUMMARY ##################

The following message I recieved from Jim Treadwell at Compaq.

Most Alpha EV6 platforms read the traditional binlog event format from
the kernel or from remote systems, and convert them to a new format to
produce a binlog event format called CEH (for Common Event Header)
before logging them. CEH is required by Compaq Analyze. The problem
is that when the daemon is configured to send events to a remote daemon,
it sends the CEH version of the event, but *all* daemons expect to read
events in the traditional format - so when a daemon sees an incoming
CEH event it assumes it's reading bad data.

The problem is fixed in the forthcoming 5.1a version.