SUMMARY: EMC stripped metavolumes

From: Andre Pinho <apinho_at_timnet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:01:12 -0300

Thanks very much for every one that quickly replied me!

My original question was:

"We're going to install a couple of GS320, were some QBBs will run Tru64
4.0G. They will be attached to a SYMMETRIX 8730 by FC adapters. In that
situation I'll not be able to address more than 7 IDs per channel - to
handle this limitation, EMC suggests to use stripped metavolumes.

I've been looking for papers regarding this configuration, because I'm
pretty concerned about some performance/administration issues:

- If I don't use LSM (and I really don't want to do this) for
partitioning, it will became a hard work - I'll will fatally be pointed
to create huge file systems;

- If I decide to have small volumes, will be necessary to install a lot
of KGPs on my boxes;

Is there anybody else running in this trouble? Should I use SCSI instead
of FC for that boxes?

Any comments will be widely appreciated."

Must of replies, pointed me to use LSM for partitioning with the
assurance of don't lose I/O bandwith. I agree, but I was just trying to
find out another way - I don't hate LSM but I prefer to have a clean
installation.

The main tips are:
1) Stripped metavolumes will NOT decrease performance;
2) Setup two or three channels to deal with small volumes is a good
idea;
3) LSM partitioning will not punish the I/O more than SCSI (instead of
FC) will do;

Thanks againg for your valuable support!

Best Regards,
Andre Pinho
UNIX System Administrator - TIM Brasil