From: Dirk Hufnagel <hufnagel_at_mps.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:01:01 -0400

When browsing in the 4.0f patch kit 6 documentation I found
the following in the OSF440-568 patch description :

"Additionally the ITPSA driver now supports the KZPCM, 8951U,
and 8952U adapters."

Since 8952U is the part number for the generic LSILogic card,
I tried to use a LSILogic 8952U SCSI adapter with Tru64 4.0f
but it didn't work, eg. the itpsa driver complained about
an incorrect checksum.

I got responses from Seldon E. Ball Jr and Dr. Thomas Blinn
both basically saying that you need a card which is specifically
supported by the itpsa driver and that generic cards won't work.

I attach Dr. Thomas Blinn reply since it gives a good explanations
what the itpsa driver looks for when it checks if the adapter is
supported or not.

"Dr. Thomas.Blinn_at_Compaq.com" wrote:

> Are you trying to use a "generic" card that you bought other than from
> Compaq (or the former Digital)? The cards that work come with a special
> ROM chip that contains what amounts to a "license PAK" that represents a
> royalty paid by the vendor (Compaq/Digital) to the people who wrote the
> driver; "commodity" cards don't have the chip and don't work. I will not
> attempt to defend this implementation, but it's what it is. If you want
> a card that works you need to buy a Digital/Compaq branded card that has
> the royalty chip on it.
>
> Tom
>
> Dr. Thomas P. Blinn + UNIX Software Group + Compaq Computer Corporation

And the second response when I specifically asked him about
the statement in the patch kit docs :