Does Legato Networker require portmap to be running?

From: <jreed_at_appliedtheory.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:07:40 -0400

We've recently seen some odd connections established to port 111
on some of our tru64 v4.0f hosts, so I'm looking at turning off
portmapper. We do not run telnet/ftp/anything from inetd.conf,
or NIS or NFS on these hosts. Our Legato Networker admin feels
that portmapper is required to allow Networker backups to run
correctly, but I have killed the portmap process and
stopped/restarted the nsrexecd processes and backups seem
to still run ok. Does anyone have any definitive info on
the relationship between Networker on a backup client and
the portmap service?

TIA!

Judith Reed