Update process / CPU utilization

From: Aldridge, Robert E. <REAldridge_at_mcdermott.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:30:41 -0500

Tru64 Managers:

A user of our Tru64 5.0 system wants to know, is there anything we can do to
control/limit the "update" process? When it runs every 30 seconds or so,
it's taking 25-50% of the processor with it.

It doesn't sound like a "tunable" process to me, but I thought I'd check
with this list.

Also - could the lack of running AdvFS defragging cause Update to run more
frequently/more intensively?

Thanks,

Robert
Alliance, Ohio
  /sbin/update
DESCRIPTION
  The update command flushes data from memory to disk every 30 seconds.
This ensures that the file system is up to date in the event of a system
crash. This command is provided as a statically-linked executable in
/sbin.